jessysbookends

Victoria Foyt
Mansfield Park
Jane Austen

Swell

Swell - Julie Rieman Duck I read Swell in just two days. From the first instant I read it, simply couldn't stop. The story grabbed my interest from the get go. This is one of those books that keeps you thinking afterwards. Characters become familiar to you and you cannot help but try to understand them by constantly learning their next move.

Duck gives us characters to remember. Beck and Christian are complex characters. We see and understand everything through Beck's POV.

Beck changes so drastically that at some point you cannot help but ask: where is the girl from the beginning, the one who knew little about the world around her? She just changes according to how hectic her life becomes. To me Beck is many things and those impressions change with the development of the story. At first she is naive, then she becomes voraciously intrepid in her quest to keep up with her alcohol happy boyfriend. Later she is reckless and finally she is a new person but now is someone who is her own person.

Christian is the trigger in Beck's life. He destroys her little by little, but her love craving heart doesn't see it that way. One of the things that kept me reading was wanting to know if Beck was OK. Every chapter, I read that little paragraph of Beck and simply had to end the chapter. Those little scenes were crude and strong.

Author Julie Duck brought us this thought provoking tale of love and strength of character. I am impressed by Duck's skillful way of transmitting these stories impregnated with the crudeness of reality. I read A Place In This Life (which I loved) but now Swell is my favorite book from this author. She has a fierce way of explaining the world and is fearless when building the world in which her characters are going to thrive in...or end themselves.

Source: provided by author for an honest review.